Bo Svensson’s Mainz come up in opposition to Liverpool and former supervisor Jürgen Klopp on Friday (kick-off: 5.15pm GMT+2).
It was Klopp who put Mainz on the footballing map when their former participant took them as much as the Bundesliga for the primary time in 2004. He additionally set a development for coaches who beforehand labored or performed on the membership, with Thomas Tuchel simply one other one in all Svensson’s illustrious predecessors. The Dane has solely been within the job since January however already has his place in 05ers’ folklore secured after he saved them from seemingly sure relegation with the most effective Rückrunde within the staff’s top-flight historical past. In truth, it was Klopp who signed Svensson as a participant in 2007 and the present Liverpool supervisor just lately lavished reward on the incumbent on the Mewa Area. That is Mainz’s third pre-season pleasant of the summer season, after 11-0 and 2-1 wins over Planig and Würzburger Kickers respectively. Each line-ups have been near what many would take into account the 05ers’ doubtless staff come their opening Bundesliga sport in opposition to RB Leipzig on 15 August – count on to see the identical once more on the Greisbergers Betten-Area in Grödig, Austria.
Klopp spent seven years as a coach at Mainz earlier than one other stint of the identical size at Borussia Dortmund, the place he received two Bundesliga titles. The 54-year-old has been in cost on Merseyside since October 2015 and guided Liverpool to a primary league title in three a long time. He and his squad are in Austria as they put together for the 2021/22 marketing campaign, starting pre-season earlier within the week with two 1-1 attracts over half-hour every in opposition to VfB Stuttgart and Wacker Innsbruck. The Liverpool squad is smattered with former Bundesliga gamers, together with Loris Karius (additionally beforehand of Mainz), Ibrahima Konate, Joel Matip, Naby Keita, Thiago, Xherdan Shaqiri, Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi. Lacking from the travelling celebration are gamers who had been in motion for his or her international locations over the summer season, reminiscent of goalkeeper Alisson and captain Jordan Henderson.
Watch: The Svensson Impact
- Liverpool supervisor Klopp led Mainz to their first ever Bundesliga promotion in 2004.
- Svensson has a better win proportion with Mainz (45%) than did Klopp (40%), nevertheless.
- In Konate, Keita and Origi, Liverpool have three doubtless starters who had been beforehand within the Bundesliga. Thiago, Firmino, Karius, Shaqiri and Matip have additionally performed in Germany.
- Jean-Philippe Mateta and Robin Quaison every had a hand in a team-high eight Bundesliga objectives final season. With each gone, kids like Ben Bobzien have an opportunity to shine.
- Mainz haven’t missed one in all their final 25 penalties within the Bundesliga. Full-back Daniel Brosinski has scored eight of these.
- Mainz and Liverpool have met as soon as earlier than in pleasant motion, the 05ers choosing up a 4-0 win in August 2016. Brosinski opened the scoring that day.
Mainz: Zentner – St. Juste, Bell, Niakhate (c) – Brosinski, Rupil, Kohr, Meier – Stöger – Bobzien, Boetius
Uncertain: Lee (ankle)
Coach: Bo Svensson
Liverpool: Kelleher – Williams, Phillips, Konate, Tsimikas – Keita, Milner (c), Jones – Elliott, Origi, Minamino
Uncertain: Alexander-Arnold (thigh), Gomez (knee), Matip (Ankle), Van Dijk (knee)
Coach: Jürgen Klopp