Spain capitalised on a Slovakia implosion to seal their place within the final 16 with a 5-0 hammering in Seville, which additionally knocked their opponents out of the competitors.
Alvaro Morata noticed his early penalty – awarded by VAR – saved by Martin Dubravka earlier than Spain strolled to a victory that takes them via in second place, organising a last-16 conflict with Croatia in Copenhagen on Monday.
Dubravka went from hero to zero after punching the rebound from a Pablo Sarabia shot into his personal web on the half-hour, earlier than Aymeric Laporte rose highest to double Spain’s lead in damage time and web his first purpose for his nation after the goalkeeper had gone walkabout.
Slovakia emerged throwing warning to the wind, understanding solely a degree would give them actual hope of development, however rapidly sank with out hint as soon as Sarabia swept residence Jordi Alba’s low ball 11 minutes into the second half.
Ferran Torres then scored a deft backheel flick along with his first contact (67) as Sarabia turned supplier, earlier than Juraj Kucka put via his personal web to cap a dreadful Slovakia show and take the own-goal tally at Euro 2020 to a bewildering eight.
Slovakia: Dubravka (4), Pekarik (5), Satka (5), Skriniar (6), Hubocan (5), Kucka (5), Hromada (5), Haraslin (4), Hamsik (5), Mak (4), Duda (4).
Subs: Lobotka (6), Duris (5), Weiss (5), Suslov (5), Benes (n/a).
Spain: Simon (6), Azpilicueta (7), Garcia (6), Laporte (7), Jordi Alba (7), Koke (7), Busquets (8), Pedri (7), Sarabia (9), Morata (5), Moreno (6).
Subs: F Torres (7), Thiago (6), P Torres (7), Traore (6), Oyarzabal (6).
Man of the match: Pablo Sarabia
Spain click on into gear to pummel poor Slovakia
A brand new-look Spain, revitalised by the return of Sergio Busquets as considered one of 4 modifications, regarded sharp from the off however owed Slovakia a debt for a golden likelihood to take the lead when Jakub Hromada caught Koke with an tried clearance and after a VAR evaluation, gave Spain a penalty.
Morata’s tame spot-kick was saved out by Dubravka, whose hero standing was quickly eliminated when he tried to punch Sarabia’s long-range effort clear after it had rebounded off the bar, and as an alternative scuffed it into his personal purpose below little stress.
Maybe overeager to atone for his error, the Newcastle goalkeeper was once more at fault for Spain’s second, leaving Laporte an unguarded web after deciding to race to the sting of his six-yard field and failing to cease Gerard Moreno delivering a cross to the Manchester Metropolis defender.
The respective half-time scores left Slovakia third in Group E however nonetheless getting ready to a group-stage exit, and Stefan Tarkovic responded by sending on two substitutes on the break.
After a brilliant begin to the half, it was again to regular as Slovakia conceded a 3rd, made by a tremendous Alba take and cross into the six-yard field, and completed neatly by Sarabia.
Luis Enrique’s tremendous afternoon improved additional when Torres, despatched on in its place solely moments earlier, turned residence Sarabia’s cross from a brief nook earlier than one other sub, Pau Torres, offered the fifth when his header from a free-kick was turned onto Kucka’s leg by Dubravka and rebounded in.
Spain had regarded irresistible since half-time and will have had a sixth when Mikel Oyarzabal narrowly missed connecting with one other Alba cross, however a woeful Slovakia, who sunk with out hint, offered them no signal of a stern check in Seville, and can’t qualify for the last-16 because of their inferior purpose distinction.
Man of the match – Pablo Sarabia
With Moreno moved to the left to accommodate him, Sarabia made probably the most of his first begin of the match with a hand of their first purpose – albeit not as massive as Dubravka’s – earlier than getting on the scoresheet himself, and teeing up Torres’ backheeled third.
The PSG ahead missed solely eight passes all sport and appears prone to begin in opposition to Croatia within the final 16 on this way.
- Spain equalled the most important margin of victory in a sport on the European Championships, turning into the fifth completely different aspect to win by 5 objectives within the competitors (after France and Denmark in 1984, the Netherlands in 2000 and Sweden in 2004).
- This was Spain’s fiftieth win at a serious match (World Cup & Euros), turning into the fourth European aspect to achieve this milestone of victories, after Germany, Italy and France.
- Štefan Tarkovic suffered back-to-back defeats for the primary time since taking cost of Slovakia, with tonight being his twelfth sport on the helm.
- Spain scored 5 objectives in a single European Championship match for the very first time, with this being their forty third sport within the competitors.
- Since making his debut for the nationwide aspect in October 2019, Gerard Moreno has been straight concerned in 10 objectives for Spain (5 objectives and 5 assists) – greater than another participant for them on this interval.
- With what was his first contact within the sport, Ferran Torres scored simply 44 seconds after approaching as an alternative choice to Spain – the quickest purpose scored by a substitute on the European Championships since fellow Spaniard Juan Carlos Valerón in 2004 (39 seconds v Russia).
Spain will face Croatia in Copenhagen of their last-16 tie on Monday, June 28; kick-off at 5pm.
Slovakia, now confirmed as eradicated from the match, journey to Slovenia of their subsequent match on September 9 for a 2022 World Cup qualifier; kick-off at 7.45pm.