ST. LOUIS – First off, I just like the individuals in St. Louis. The Lavatory. Fast story from at the moment: So, I’m getting on the MetroLink again to the airport cease, the place I’ll then take the free shuttle to a budget airport resort I’m staying. An older man and his spouse inform me which facet of the tracks to get on the MetroLink, which I used to be genuinely confused by. He additionally offers me the second half of two one-way tickets I purchased, which I left within the bin under.
I say thanks and ask what’s in his bag. He says it’s a signed thriller puck from a Blues factor they did on the area, however he doesn’t know who signed it when he opens it. I inform him it was signed by Marco Scandella. He says thanks and asks the place I’m from. I say I’m a man who has lined the Avalanche for the final 26 years, beginning in 1995 with one among my first journeys to this very metropolis.
He will get probably the most bitter look on his face you’ve ever seen. As did his spouse. They nonetheless wished me effectively in my travels.
As I mentioned, I just like the individuals of St. Louis. Powerful, grinding Midwestern individuals. I establish. My Lyft driver from the airport gave me some nice barbecue strategies for tomorrow – so, hiya Pappy’s. (By the way in which, that is the primary time I’d admitting this however: I did some Lyft driving in my time within the wilderness the final a number of years. As I kind this, I’ve 1,899 rides to my credit score, and an ideal 5.0 ranking. I don’t suppose I’ve pushed in additional than 18 months, however I consider my driver standing continues to be energetic on the platform. Hey, I made some good hockey dialog with loads of passengers, most of them who by no means knew who I used to be).
That’s why it’s been so anti-St. Louis, anti-Missourian work ethic to listen to Blues coach Craig Berube whine a lot on this lopsided collection, particularly after tonight’s 5-1 thrashing by which the Avalanche received handily regardless of getting nothing from the highest line and nothing from the facility play.
Hear Berube right here and ask if he needs any wine with that cheese:
Berube on officiating: “The refereeing, each sport, we get one or two calls. It is often late within the third interval. They’re getting 4, 5 a sport. I imply, it isn’t that lopsided. I am unsure why we do not get the calls that we deserve. Parayko will get tripped within the nook (1/2)
— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) May 22, 2021
Berube cont’d: “They go down and rating a aim. He will get tripped within the nook, slew-footed and so they do not it and it value us a aim. It is horrible. It is so one-sided, it isn’t even humorous.” #stlblues
— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) May 22, 2021
Severely? OK, I get it. The Blues had a purpose to be hopping mad on the world after Recreation 2. Veteran defenseman Justin Faulk was injured by a foul, unhealthy hit by Nazem Kadri, and so they misplaced the sport in addition. I’d have been screaming bloody homicide too. However Kadri was suspended EIGHT GAMES by the NHL Division of Participant Security tonight. That ought to deal with Berube’s and GM Doug Armstrong’s “concern” about how, gee, gamers generally get harm on this sport performed by males on skates going 20-30 MPH and, gee, generally they hit one another and, gee, generally accidents occur in consequence.
(Armstrong’s crocodile tears second to one among his Candian reporter buddies at the moment was a pathetic show of hypocrisy. That precise headline on this unhappy piece says “no repercussions” for what occurred to one among his gamers. Good day, Kadri received EIGHT GAMES as a repercussion!)
I watched the sport intently tonight from my perch at Enterprise Middle, and I noticed nothing to again up Berube’s claims of lopsided officiating. In reality, I noticed plenty of Blues gamers – similar to growing old heart Brayden Schenn – attempting haphazard, ham-handed old-school techniques similar to grabbing Cale Makar by the jersey on the finish of the primary interval and attempting to goad him into one thing. As an alternative, Schenn simply performed the idiot by skating away, very similar to he did when he received his ass handed to him in a struggle with the captain of the Avs in Recreation 1.
I noticed Blues dingbat ahead Sammy Blais (who received suspended two video games this season for an elbow to the top of Devon Toews, which – oh, consider the youngsters! – should not occur, ever, in line with the very involved Doug Armstrong) run round and hit Sam Girard within the again with a cross-check. I noticed Colton Parayko principally simply cross-check a couple of guys tonight, and never a lot else.
Briefly, I noticed a St. Louis Blues crew that may’t compete towards the Colorado Avalanche proper now, however needs guilty all of it on the refs. I believe the Blues may need a bit of bit of sophistication when this collection is over, within the subsequent day or two, however I’m wondering? With Berube and Armstrong in command of this membership, we is likely to be in for a bit of extra whining but.
- Jared Bednar mentioned he was “stunned” by the eight-game suspension to Kadri, however I actually wasn’t. I don’t blame Bednar, although, for being confused by the NHL’s “repeat offender” coverage, which is straight out of Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22”. Primarily, the league’s place on that is: “We’re going to publicly say your previous current historical past (18 months) has no bearing on this case, however in actuality it does.”
- “He’s not a repeat offender, by the league’s definition,” Bednar mentioned.
- All that mentioned: I believe what Kadri received is about proper. Whether or not he meant to do it or not, which Kadri mentioned he didn’t imply to, it occurred. Simply make the coverage clear now, NHL; everyone knows Kadri had a earlier rap sheet and this was one other unhealthy incident. Simply say it, and be finished with it. You invited second-guessing from Bednar in your complicated fine-print right here.
- Talking of confused by the tremendous print: why can we all must put on masks inside an area, like tonight, but the CDC says we don’t have to put on masks anymore if we’re vaccinated? Actually, we couldn’t even drink water within the press field tonight, due to virus considerations. I’m not even attempting to be political right here. However what the hell is the official coverage for this factor? Is the Middle for Illness Management in cost right here, in saying we don’t have to put on a masks, or is it some podunk metropolis commissioner in a metropolis like St. Louis? Pardon me for being confused.
- Frankly, I believe the coverage that coaches nonetheless have to put on a masks on the bench, however NONE of the gamers have to, is simply pure idiocy at this level. So, the coaches usually tend to transmit the virus than a participant sitting eight inches in entrance of them?
- That is simply getting silly.
- See you Sunday.