Welcome to Hockey After Darkish, a nightly recap of the NHL playoffs made doable by insomnia, playoff anxiousness, and my BFF caffeine. Come for the topical social commentary, and keep for the sporadic in-depth evaluation plagued by obscure popular culture references. In case you benefit from the snark, be happy to observe me at @DXTraeger
The MassMutual NHL® East Division is understood for a lot of issues, such because the being the positioning of Carter Hart’s 2021 Implosion™.
As has been the case for a lot of
years months weeks days, the MassMutual NHL® East Division has produced essentially the most extra time video games within the league, and on Wednesday evening, the Washington Capitals and Boston Bruins supplied their third extra time in as many post-season video games this 12 months.
Sport 1 went to the Capitals after Nic Dowd feathered a shot residence from the purpose. Brad Marchand (Rattus Norvegicus) evened the sequence simply 39 seconds into Sport 2’s extra time session.
Wednesday’s tilt required two overtimes to find out a winner, and it’s honest to say that Washington misplaced the sport as a lot as Boston gained it.
Washington began rookie Ilya Samsonov in purpose, and the Russian netminder from Evgeni Malkin’s hometown of Magnitogorsk held serve till about 5:45 into the second extra time.
Samsonov stopped a dump-in behind his web, and ostensibly left the puck for his defenseman, Justin Schultz. Schultz appeared over his shoulder and took a stride to his proper simply as Boston’s Craig Smith handed Schultz on his left.
Smith swooped in, corralled the stationary puck, and wrapped residence a game-winner earlier than Samsonov might react.
Alex Ovechkin was…not happy:
Offended Ovechkin after Caps lose Sport 3 in OT pic.twitter.com/S8yD92kTZm
— Brady Trettenero (@BradyTrett) May 20, 2021
Smith’s purpose gave Boston the sequence lead, and full momentum heading right into a essential Sport 4 on Friday evening.
My new favourite participant/title, “Garnet Hathaway,” appears to have earned his hockey diploma from the Tom Wilson College of Asshatery:
— Capitals District (@CapitalsDist) May 20, 2021
I dislike Brad Marchand with the most effective of them, however what Hathaway did there’s a knee killer. I’d argue that Hathaway’s low hit/interference was dirtier than Ulf Samuelsson’s knee-on-knee hit of Cam (Okay)neely.
Later within the sport, Marchand would actually flip the script on Hathaway, dropping beneath the charging Capital and sending him flying into the boards.
Somebody name Terminx: this sequence has a pest infestation.
Carolina Hurricanes defeat the Nashville Predators, 3-0 (Hurricanes lead the sequence, 2-0)
The Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks mercifully ended their common season on Wednesday afternoon in a sport that completely no person cared about.
The Nashville Predators are politely doing the identical factor of their sequence with the Carolina Hurricanes, and the Predators’ season shall be over on Sunday.
The Canes’ Sebastian Aho had two objectives, and Alex “The Human Scrabble Cheat Code” Nedeljkovic turned apart 32 pictures for the shutout.
Winnipeg Jets defeat the Edmonton Oilers, 4-1 (Jets lead the sequence, 1-0)
The Winnipeg Jets backed their means into the NHL playoffs, and had been rewarded for his or her (lack of) effort with enjoying towards Connor McDavid, the league’s finest offensive participant.
McDavid performed the Jets 8 instances through the common season, and McDavid notched a number of factors in each contest. So think about the presumptive Hart Trophy winner’s shock when the Jets held him fully scoreless on Wednesday.
The sport was truly quite a bit nearer than the ultimate rating indicated, because the Jets scored two empty-net objectives within the closing minutes.
Edmonton can’t win this sequence if McDavid doesn’t carry his weight. For that matter, the Jets can’t win if McDavid does McDavid issues, so this sequence hinges solely on what #97 can or can’t do.
The Colorado Avalanche defeat the St. Louis Blues, 5-3 (Avalance lead the sequence, 2-0)
A humorous factor occurred on the best way to the Ball Enviornment: Nazem Kadri turned again into Nazem Kadri, which is all the time the worst factor that Nazem Kadri might do.
Kadri leveled Justin Faulk with a Matt Cooke-esque elbow to the pinnacle, incomes him an ejection and possible multi-game suspension:
Nazem Kadri about to get suspended within the first spherical AGAIN pic.twitter.com/qoBYHiS2X1
— Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) May 20, 2021
Kadri’s antics injected somewhat sympathy for the Blues, and doubtless ticked the St. Louis gamers off. The Blues closed an early 3-0 gap to 3-2, solely to see the Avalanche’s Nathan MacKinnon ice issues with a hat-trick.
So now Colorado leads the sequence up 2-0 and the Blues are probably enjoying with out the companies of Faulk and Robert Bortuzzo (who left Wednesday’s sport and didn’t return). St. Louis had confronted an uphill climb on the serie’s outset, however now a comeback could also be not possible.
Sport 3 is on Friday evening.
Penguins vs. Islanders, Sport 3 Ideas:
- The Penguins are prone to be with out the companies of Evgeni Malkin tomorrow evening. His absence hurts the Penguins due to the constructive trickle-down of expertise to the underside strains, and since #71 would probably deliver the puck into the offensive zone on power-plays, a accountability that Kris Letang is ill-suited to carry out.
- Pittsburgh must continues to get our bodies and pucks to the web. He’s now not with the staff, however the Penguins want some ugly Patric Hornqvist objectives to assist get them over the hump with the pesky Islanders.
- Regardless of what you will have learn, no, the Penguins do not should play a extra bodily model of hockey or interact in post-whistle shenanigans to uphold the honour of their teammates. The Penguins have ability gamers; the Islanders have grunts. If a grunt can take a Sidney Crosby off of the ice for two minutes with coincidental minors, the grunt wins. Take your lumps, win the sequence, and transfer on, boys.
- The Penguins have to proceed their containment of Mathew Barzal. Barzal is at his finest when he’s biking excessive and drawing defenders out of their lanes and/or off of their marks. Forcing Barzal to the boards as an alternative of the excessive slot (even on his backhand) is a defensive win.
- Tristan Jarry wants to stay aggressive. He’s within the NHL as a result of he’s athletic and has nice twitch, and he wants to permit that expertise to enhance his line with the shooter.
And now…your second of shirtless DM hockey Zen: