Courtesy of American Athletic Communications Division
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. –
An early aim gave American College males’s soccer a 1-0 lead that they held for nearly 50 minutes, however heavy stress by Clemson to open the second half and a handball name ensuing within the go-ahead penalty kick within the 62nd minute helped the No. 1 seed Tigers keep away from an upset on Sunday night.
- David Coly continued his scoring streak, discovering the again of the web within the 4th minute to place AU on prime.
- This marks the sixth straight recreation with a aim for Coly, a feat no Eagle has completed since at the least 2001. Solely three Eagles since 2001 have even scored a aim in three straight video games (Joel Hart in 2015, Alassane Kane in 2012, and Garth Juckem in 2004).
- Jake Agnew performed all 90 minutes in aim, choosing up a season-high 5 saves.
- AU’s season ends within the NCAA Second Spherical after successful the Patriot League title for the primary time since 2004 and advancing within the NCAA Match for the eighth straight look.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- American managed the ball instantly with Jerry Zouantcha inserting a shot on aim 15 seconds into the sport.
- Within the 4th minute, Coly took a pleasant ball into the field from Zouantcha and positioned a one-timer throughout his physique for a aim. It was his seventh aim of the season.
- AU’s protection, led by heart again Oscar McConnell, performed an excellent first half to carry Clemson scoreless regardless of the Tigers firing off 9 pictures within the body.
- American took a 1-0 lead into the locker room, which was simply the third time this season that Clemson had trailed at intermission.
- Within the first six minutes of the second half, Agnew picked up three extra saves, though one ball slipped away from his grasp to arrange a nook kick for Clemson.
- The Tigers ran a play from the nook that began with a brief cross earlier than being redirected to the far publish and headed in for the equalizer.
- The sport really modified after Ethan Boyle blocked a harmful likelihood for the Tigers within the field however was whistled for a handball. The infraction despatched Clemson to the penalty spot the place James Brighton buried what turned out to be the eventual game-winning aim.
- All through the ultimate quarter-hour, American had a pair runs for an equalizer, together with an opportunity because the clock was inside one minute remaining. McConnell was fouled about 30 yards out, setting the Eagles up for a free kick.
- AU scrambled to bought the free kick off in time however could not redirect the ball towards aim, ending the sport in a slim 2-1 loss.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- American had three pictures within the first eight minutes of the sport earlier than being held with no shot the remainder of the way in which.
- Clemson created 5 nook kick alternatives whereas AU solely mustered one.
- Zouantcha picked up his second help of the match after beforehand not recording a helper since Nov. 2, 2018 towards Military.
- AU ends the season with a 4-2-3 document.
- Six seniors suited up of their remaining recreation in an American uniform on Sunday: McConnell, Agnew, Nick Dimitrijevic, Kyle Hellmann, Brenner Jarrad and Al-Ameen Salako.
- After beforehand not recording a win within the postseason throughout their careers, this senior class led this 12 months’s workforce to a Patriot League title and a spot within the NCAA Second Spherical, going 2-1-1 in postseason play.