Wolverines to Head to Massive Ten Match as No. 2 Seed
4/27/2021 12:40:00 PM
// Sarah VanMetre
» Michigan heads to the Massive Ten Match because the No. 2 seed and the winner of the final two Massive Ten Tournaments held (2018, 2019).
» U-M will face both Purdue or Illinois within the first spherical of motion. The Wolverines swept the season collection from Purdue and shut out Illinois on the VTC within the lone assembly of the season.
» The Wolverines received their tenth Massive Ten championship in program historical past this season after going 15-1 in Massive Ten play.
Fri-Solar., April 26-28 — at Massive Ten Match (Madison, Wis.)
Massive Ten Match Bracket | Massive Ten Match program
Friday, April 30 — vs. Purdue/Illinois – Massive Ten Match Quarterfinals, 9 a.m. CDT
Stay Scoring | Stay Video*
Saturday, Could 1 — Massive Ten Match Semifinals, 10 a.m. CT
Stay Scoring | Stay Video*
Sunday, Could 2 — Massive Ten Match Championship, 2 p.m. CT
TV: Massive Ten Community+ | Stay Scoring | Stay Video
*No dwell video if performed outdoor
• Social Media: Fb | Twitter | Instagram
The No. 19-ranked College of Michigan girls’s tennis crew (15-2) heads to the Massive Ten Match because the No. 2 seed after sharing the Massive Ten championship with Ohio State. Michigan will face both Purdue (6-10) or Illinois (8-8) within the first spherical, as U-M is in the hunt for its third straight tourney title after successful in 2018 and 2019.
• The Maize and Blue heads to the Massive Ten Match because the No. 2 seed after sharing the Massive Ten championship with Ohio State, compiling a 15-1 convention mark. U-M has captured 9 of the final 11 Massive Ten championships and now has 10 in program historical past (1997, 2010-15, 2017, 2019, 2021). OSU received the tiebreaker between the groups with a better ITA rating (No. 15), because the groups cut up their two conferences this season.
• The Wolverines have reached 15 straight championship matches on the Massive Ten Match, relationship again to the 2004-05 season. Michigan has received the final two tournaments contested, selecting up a 4-3 win over Northwestern within the ultimate match in 2018 and grabbing a 4-1 win over Illinois in 2019.
• U-M has received event titles in 1997, 2015, 2018 and 2019. The event was used to find out the Massive Ten champion up till 2009, when the convention began utilizing the common season to find out the Massive Ten champion.
• Michigan will face the winner of Purdue (6-10) and Illinois (8-8) on Friday (April 30) within the quarterfinal spherical at 9 a.m. CDT/10 a.m. EDT. U-M swept the season collection from Purdue, whereas blanking Illinois (4-0) on the Varsity Tennis Middle within the lone assembly this season between the 2 groups.
• Of Michigan’s 10 Massive Ten championships, 9 of them have come since 2010. Head coach Ronni Bernstein has led the Wolverines to Massive Ten championships in 2010-15, 2017, 2019 and 2021. Michigan’s first Massive Ten title was captured in 1997.
• U-M is 137-7 (.951) in Massive Ten play beneath Bernstein. She has led the Wolverines to 9 of the final 11 Massive Ten championship titles contested, in addition to three event crowns since taking on previous to the 2007-08 season.
• The ITA launched two units of rankings this week, one was computerized and the opposite a coaches ballot. U-M got here in at No. 19 within the computerized model and No. 14 within the coaches ballot.
• Within the newest particular person rankings launched by the ITA, freshmen Kari Miller (No. 48) and Gala Mesochoritou (No. 117) seem within the singles rankings, with Chiara Lommer and Jaedan Brown forming the No. 55-ranked doubles crew.
• Graduate pupil Chiara Lommer turned the tenth Wolverine in program historical past to succeed in 100 profession wins, that includes a 104-45 file throughout her time at Michigan to rank eighth all-time. The lefty is also thirteenth traditionally at Michigan with a .698 singles successful proportion.
• Throughout convention motion, U-M outscored its opponents, 82-25, in 16 matches. Michigan had a pair of shutouts, blanking Rutgers (7-0) and Illinois (4-0). The Wolverines went 72-19 in singles play towards Massive Ten groups in the course of the common season, with Gala Mesochoritou and Jaedan Brown every main the way in which with 14 wins apiece.
Final Time Out
The Wolverines took a 4-1 win over Michigan State to brush the season collection from the Spartans and clinch a share of the Massive Ten championship with Ohio State. U-M rallied after dropping the doubles level, getting singles wins from Jaedan Brown, Kari Miller, Gala Mesochoritou and Bella Lorenzini.
Monday, Could 3 — NCAA Choice Present, 6 p.m.