VILLANOVA, Pa. – The Saint Joseph’s males’s tennis crew received again to its profitable methods as Francesco Mowrey’s win within the fourth singles flight clinched a 4-3 win over Villanova on the Villanova Tennis Advanced on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Saint Joseph’s (6-4) took the early lead with a pair of doubles wins to safe the primary level of the day. Eshan Kanetkar and Nathan Perrone had been top-flight winners, whereas Alex MacNeil and Johnnie Massart clinched the purpose with a win within the third.
• Perrone doubled the Hawks’ benefit with a 6-2, 6-1 win within the first singles flight. After the Wildcats snagged a win within the sixth to chop the lead in half, Massart put the Hawks on the point of victory with a 6-4, 6-3 win within the fifth.
• Villanova (5-7) drew degree with wins within the second and third flights, however Mowrey pulled by within the fourth, battling again from a set all the way down to notch a 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 triumph and provides the match to the Crimson and Grey.
“It was an excellent win at the moment, which we had been in want of,” assistant coach Marc Pibernat stated. “It is even higher that it comes in opposition to Villanova. We’re nonetheless not the place we should be as a crew; so long as everybody that performs does not come able to compete in each doubles and singles, we won’t be a crew, and that’s what has occurred the previous few matches, together with at the moment. Sure, we did win, however as a coach, I’m not glad. There are some attitudes in sure gamers that want to vary drastically if we wish to have an opportunity at reaching the potential everyone knows this crew can have.
“Once more, a giant shoutout to Nate and Johnnie for not simply holding the crew with their wins in doubles and singles, but in addition with the nice vitality that they bring about on and off the courtroom. Lastly, it was good for Francesco to search out an essential win in singles and clinching the wanted level to beat Villanova.”
The Hawks will host Harford on Saturday earlier than visiting Lafayette on Sunday.
Saint Joseph’s 4, Villanova 3
1. Eshan Kanetkar / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Alex Kim / Ryan Nguyen (VU), 6-3
2. Matthew Jones / Josh Robinson (VU) def. Nickolas Frisk / Francesco Mowrey (SJU), 7-5
3. Alex MacNeil / Johnnie Massart (SJU) def. Daniel Cheng / Noah Winton (VU), 6-2
Order of End: 1, 3, 2
1. Perrone (SJU) def. Kim (VU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Robinson (VU) def. Frisk (SJU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Eitan Khromchenko (VU) def. Kanetkar (SJU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. Mowrey (SJU) def. Cheng (VU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Massart (SJU) def. Anthony Prokurat (VU), 6-4, 6-3
6. Nguyen (VU) def. Luis Janko (SJU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of End: 1, 6, 5, 2, 3, 4
Singles: Saint Joseph’s 65, Villanova 61
Doubles: Saint Joseph’s 17, Villanova 12
Complete: Saint Joseph’s 82, Villanova 73