Studying Time: 2 minutes
9 Group USA Athletes are urging the Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) to cease selling dairy to the general public and different Olympians.
Silver medalist Dotsie Bausch has written an open letter to USOPC. It argues the committee has ‘didn’t take severely the well being issues’ she raised final 12 months.
The letter was printed as a ?full-page advert? in the present day in three day by day newspapers the place Olympic amenities are situated (together with the USOPC’s Colorado Springs headquarters).
“In October 2020, a complete of 9 Group USA athletes, together with me, despatched you a letter relating to unhealthy cow’s milk’s outstanding position within the Group USA tradition and ads,” the letter reads.
“That letter included Nationwide Institutes of Well being lactose intolerance and malabsorption statistics. These statistics spotlight that as much as 95 % of Blacks, American Indians, Asians, and Hispanics/Latinx are disproportionately affected by lactose intolerance. This places them at excessive threat for affected by painful and debilitating signs.
“That letter additionally included quite a few scientific analysis research in regards to the deleterious results of cow’s milk. As an alternative of contemplating the statistics and science that we introduced, you shortly dismissed it as ‘opinion’. With all due respect, science is a reality, not an opinion.
The letter is signed by Bausch in addition to eight different Olympic athletes:
- Alex Morgan, Soccer, Captain Group USA, Olympic Gold Medalist 2012, 2x World Cup Champion
- Heather Mitts Feeley, Soccer, 3 x Olympic Gold, 2004, 2008, 2012.
- Jennie Reed, Monitor Biking, 2004, 2008, 2012 Olympic Video games, Silver 2012 • Dustin Watten, Volleyball, Group USA, World Cup Champion .
- Michelle Akers, Soccer, Olympic Gold Medalist 1996, World Cup Champion, often known as one of many prime feminine soccer gamers of all time.
- Tamara Jenkins Cheek, Canoe/Kayak, 2000, Former President of each the Southern CA Olympians and Paralympians.
- Rebecca Soni, Swimming, 2008, 2012 Olympic Video games, 3 Gold & 3 Silver • Leslie Osborne, Soccer, Group USA, FIFA World Cup participant.
The Olympic & Paralympic Comitte has ‘failed’
Furthermore, Bausch mentioned: “As a company that guarantees in its bylaws to guard and promote its athletes’ wellbeing and champion the integrity of sport… The USOPC has failed but once more to do what’s proper
She additionally added: “The promotion of unhealthy cow’s milk to Group USA athletes and to the general public is unacceptable. And, is one other instance of the USOPC’s willful disregard for the wellbeing of these it’s entrusted to guard.”
Non-profit group Switch4Good ‘applaud’ the marketing campaign – and can be encouraging members of the general public to ‘Stand With Group USA Athletes’.
“One of many USOPC’s best missions is to ‘shield and promote its athletes’ wellbeing’,” the group wrote. “Time and time once more, the USOPC has failed in that mission.
“For years, the USOPC has closely promoted cow’s milk—a dangerous substance that jeopardizes its athletes’ wellbeing.”
Switch4Good then added: “The group commandeers its athletes’ inspiring tales and pictures to hawk cow’s milk to the general public. [This] consists of extremely impressionable kids who look as much as Group USA athletes.”
You’ll be able to assist urge the Olympic & Paralympic committee to cease selling cow’s milk right here